Acura ILX Catalytic Converters: The Acura ILX is a compact luxury sedan made by Honda’s Acura division from 2012 to now. All ILX models use inline 4-cylinder engines with a single main catalytic converter. OEM catalytic converters contain a ceramic honeycomb substrate with platinum, palladium, and rhodium catalysts.
Direct-fit replacement Acura ILX Catalytic Converters are available from aftermarket brands like Bosal, Eastern Catalytic, and Walker. Proper inlet/outlet size and oxygen sensor ports must match the OEM converter. CARB compliance is required in California.
Specific Details on the Acura ILX Catalytic Converters
Compatible Replacement Converters:
- Bosal Direct Fit Converter – Part #48572
- Eastern Catalytic Converter – Part #53215
- Walker Ultra EPA Converter – Part #51757
Read More: Acura EL Catalytic Converters
Troubleshooting Tips for Acura ILX Catalytic Converters:
Here are some useful troubleshooting tips for diagnosing issues with the catalytic converter on an Acura ILX:
- Check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) related to the converter, like P0420 or P0430, using an OBD2 scanner.
- Listen for rattling noises from the exhaust system that could indicate internal damage.
- Look for signs of a clogged converter, like reduced engine power and poor acceleration.
- Monitor the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors for any performance issues.
- Do a visual inspection of the converter for external damage or cracks.
- Check for exhaust leaks, allowing oxygen to reach the catalyst and disrupt reactions.
- Use a Catalytic Converter Cleaner to Clean your Catalytic converter
Diagnosing Acura ILX Converter Problems
- Use an OBD2 scanner to check for codes pointing to the catalytic converter.
- Look for symptoms like lack of power, increased fuel usage, and metallic rattling sounds.
- Perform a visual inspection for any external damage or corrosion.
Step-by-Step Acura ILX Catalytic Converter Installation
- Disconnect the battery and raise the vehicle safely on jack stands.
- Spray penetrating oil on converter mounting nuts to loosen them.
- Detach oxygen sensor wiring and any bracket bolts.
- Unbolt the converter from the exhaust system while retaining the hardware.
- Install a new exhaust gasket on the outlet flange.
- Maneuver the new converter in place and hand-tighten nuts and bolts first.
- Reconnect oxygen sensors properly to the new converter.
- Use a torque wrench to tighten all fasteners to spec.
- Reconnect the battery, start the engine, and test for leaks.
Read More: Acura CL Catalytic Converters
Installation Tips for Acura ILX Catalytic Converters
- Use a genuine Acura or direct-fit aftermarket catalytic converter specifically for the ILX. Generic converters may not fit right.
- Always install new exhaust inlet and outlet gaskets when replacing the converter. High-temp silicone sealant can also seal connections.
- Hand-tighten the converter mounting nuts and bolts first before torquing to spec with a wrench. Over-tightening can crack the converter.
- Ensure the oxygen sensor bung locations match when installing the new Acura ILX converter so sensors reconnect properly.
- Verify all brackets, hangers, and wiring are securely reattached with proper clearance from the exhaust.
- After installation, start the engine and test for leaks. Tighten any loose connections found.
- Clear any check engine codes before road testing. Monitor for any issues with the new converter.
- Use proper jacking and support when working under the ILX. Allow the exhaust to cool fully first.
How to Replace the Catalytic Converter on an Acura ILX
Positioning of the Acura ILX Catalytic Converter:
- Install the new converter in the same location as the original between the exhaust manifold and mid-pipe. This maintains proper exhaust flow.
- Bolt the Acura ILX converter to the existing rubber mounts using new hardware.
- Replace the exhaust inlet and outlet gaskets to prevent leaks. Also, apply high-temp silicone sealant.
- Proper seals prevent oxygen from reaching the catalyst and disrupting chemical reactions.
The ILX oxygen sensors must be positioned correctly when transferring them to the new converter. This maintains fuel trim.
Inspect Other Components:
Inspect the rest of the exhaust system when replacing the ILX converter. Look for any issues that may have caused the failure.
After installing the new Acura ILX converter, clear any codes and test drive to verify normal operation. Monitor for any new issues.
FAQs About Acura ILX Catalytic Converters
What Is A Catalytic Converter, And How Does It Work In My Acura ILX?
A catalytic converter is a vehicle emission control device that reduces harmful pollutants like carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and hydrocarbons. It uses a catalyst to facilitate chemical reactions that convert these pollutants into less harmful substances.
What Are The Symptoms Of A Clogged Catalytic Converter In My Acura ILX?
Symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter may include reduced engine performance, poor fuel efficiency, a noticeable drop in acceleration, and the illumination of the check engine light on the dashboard.
How Long Does The Catalytic Converter In My Acura ILX Typically Last?
The lifespan of a catalytic converter varies, but on average, it can last between 70,000 and 100,000 miles. However, factors such as driving conditions and maintenance can affect its longevity.
What Is The Scrap Price For A Used Acura ILX Catalytic Converter?
Scrap prices for used catalytic converters vary widely depending on factors like the converter’s make and model, condition, and the current market rates for precious metals like platinum, palladium, and rhodium.
Can A Clogged Catalytic Converter Be Cleaned, Or Must I Replace It In My Acura ILX?
In most cases, it would be best to replace a clogged catalytic converter, as effective cleaning is impossible. Attempting to clean it may provide temporary relief but won’t address the underlying issue.
What Is The Best Cleaner For A Catalytic Converter In My Acura ILX?
There are various catalytic converter cleaners available in the market. Still, checking your vehicle’s manual and following manufacturer recommendations for cleaning products is essential to ensure compatibility.
How Much Does Replacing A Catalytic Converter In An Acura ILX Cost?
The cost of replacing a catalytic converter can vary significantly depending on your location, the specific model of your Acura ILX, and whether you choose an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or an aftermarket converter. It can range from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars.
What Are Some Common Reasons For Catalytic Converter Failure In An Acura ILX?
Common reasons for catalytic converter failure include engine misfires, excessive oil consumption, using the wrong fuel type, and damage from impacts or accidents.
How Can I Extend The Life Of The Catalytic Converter In My Acura ILX?
To extend the life of your catalytic converter, ensure regular vehicle maintenance, address any engine problems promptly, use the recommended fuel, and drive responsibly to minimize excessive wear and tear.
Are There Any Environmental Regulations Regarding The Disposal Of Old Catalytic Converters From An Acura ILX?
Yes, regulations govern the disposal of old catalytic converters due to their precious metal content. Following local environmental guidelines and recycling practices is essential when disposing of or recycling a catalytic converter.